Home Fixing

Updates on my own experiences in fixing up a house built in 1923.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Upcoming projects..

I've been too busy the last couple evenings doing other things unassociated with the house to do any further fixing-up, which means I'll probably be feeling behind in fixing stuff this weekend.. At least last night I managed to turn a giant heap of boxes in the dining room into a small stack of 3 or so boxes, having unpacked or moved most of what was sitting there. Still being in the process of moving stuff into the house, it's difficult to know what to do first at any given time: Fix stuff up that needs fixing; Unpack and put away stuff that's been moved into the house; or move more stuff into the house.

I've got two kind of big projects I really want to try to accomplish this weekend:

First, buying and installing a replacement garbage disposal/disposer for the kitchen sink, to make the kitchen a tad more usable (as it is, anytime you run water in the kitchen sink for more than a couple of minutes, water starts collecting due to a non-working disposal, and you have to use a plunger to push the water down -- surely this can't be a good thing..). I'm really having major issues getting used to the total lack of counter space and cupboard space in this kitchen. It really makes doing anything food-related a major annoyance. We're hopefully going to get some kind of 'kitchen island' thing sometime soon too, which should also help, hopefully.. But at least having a sink that actually works will make washing dishes a little bit less torturous..

Second, I need to replace some old 2-prong non-grounded electrical outlets with grounded outlets, and in one instance, a GCFI outlet. I've done this before, although not for some time, so hopefully it won't be too difficult, and hopefully I'll have something to ground to.

Installing a new disposal seems kind of intimidating to me, but hopefully doable without *too* much trouble.. They wanted about a hundred dollars to install it at the hardware store, and at this point I think I could use that money better elsewhere..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home